After a long week working in Nelson real estate, the last thing I want to do is clean my house. It’s no fun living in a messy home, but I also like to spend time with my family and doing activities I enjoy. Whether you are designing a new home, remodeling your current home or redecorating, there are a few things you can do to simplify cleaning in your house.
Here are 8 design ideas to make cleaning your home easier:
- Rethink wall art. With today’s technology, we have many options for decorating our home. Instead of hanging paintings or fancy decor items, consider purchasing wall decals. These stick directly to the wall so there is no need to dust the artwork.
- Choose leather upholstery. Leather or faux leather is one of the best ways to prevent stains on furniture. When something spills you can quickly wipe it off. Try not to choose lighter leather fabrics because those can stain from bright colors.
- Use slipcovers for sofas. Adding a slip cover to sofas makes cleaning them a breeze. There is no need to hire a professional cleaner, simply take the covers off and throw them in the wash. Make sure you purchase covers that are machine washable. Some of these are treated with a stain repellant which can be helpful with young ones running around.
- Simplify sweeping and vacuuming. Buying furniture on wheels (tables, shelves, etc.) can make lifting heavy furniture to sweep, mop or vacuum a lot easier. Sticking felt pads to the bottom of furniture legs is another great option to effortlessly move heavy items.
- Select furniture that maximises your storage. Buying cabinets or ottomans with extra storage can eliminate extra clutter sitting around.
- Consider your laundry.If you are building a house, where would you most prefer the laundry room to be located? I prefer it next to the kitchen so I can check on the laundry while doing other chores. It has become quite common for the laundry room to be located near the master bedroom which eliminates dirty clothes cluttering room. If you want it out of the way, consider installing a laundry chute. Each member of the family can throw down their laundry without climbing the stairs.
- Decide on what flooring is right for you. There is no need to worry about stains when you have wood, laminate, or concrete flooring. Floors are one of the first things to get messy in my house so if I can quickly sweep and mop it is pretty painless. Although, these can get quite cold in the winter so you would need to consider purchasing rugs to prevent cold feet.
- Install a central vacuum system. Along with flooring that is easier to clean, you can install a central vacuum system to prevent crouching down with the dustpan.
If you are building or remodeling your home, I encourage you to spend some time thinking about the size and space of your home. Consider how much space you really need. The bigger the house, the easier it is to keep clutter and the harder it is to clean.
What are your design tips for making your home easier to clean? I would love to hear from you – leave your comment below!