We’ve all felt the frosty chill of Winter creeping in this week. With the colder weather always comes the need for heating for our homes.
Unfortunately this also means increased power consumption and consequently, a bigger dent in the family budget. Thankfully there are a few simple things you can do to help keep your winter power bill under control.
Here are 5 simple ways to reduce your power bill in winter:-
1. Make sure your electricity plan is the right one for you. Talk to your supplier about whether or not you need to be on a low user plan.
2. Use energy-saving light bulbs. You pay 400% more to run a standard bulb as opposed to an energy efficient LED bulb – and yet, they both produce the same amount of light.
3. Turn off your electrical appliances at the wall when you’re not using them. This may seem futile, but it can save you around $125- per year.
4. Wash your clothes in cold water. Another seemingly small change which can make a significant difference.
5. Make use of Nelson’s sunny weather and dry your clothes outside – or on an indoor airing rack in the sun. Dryers chew through energy, so this should make a big impact.
What other tips do you have for reducing your power bill in the winter?